Thursday, February 5, 2015

Christian TV Makes Me Sin

Probably earlier than I can remember watching Scooby Doo or The Brady Bunch, I remember watching Christian television.  I don't remember if it was every morning or just certain mornings, but as a child I remember awakening to the theme song from Oral Roberts' Ministries, "Something Good Is Going To Happen To You."  I remember a very young Richard Roberts and the singers. Another program we watched was Rex Humbard and his family, also Jim and Tammy Bakker.

My parents were pastors, and they needed every avenue possible to hear the voice of God.  They were very much in favor of Christian TV.  They had some acquaintances, Paul and Jan Crouch, who were doing their best to run a local Christian TV station in close by Orange County.  My dad with other ministers would go to their station minister and on live TV.  That was the early 70's.

Fast forward to my teen years, what was on Christian television?  Well, let me start by saying, it was the 80's.  Everything was big, fancy, and flashy, and that was very evident on Christian TV.  I think Christian TV was really the ground breaker for reality TV.  Preachers were preaching against other preachers.   There were scandals.  Evangelists were being misquoted in the media, and the media was doing its best to destroy every TV ministry.
I knew all of these gentlemen, and I trust them still today,
Oral Roberts, T.L. Osborn, Kenneth Copeland, Kenneth Hagin Jr.,
Kenneth Hagin Sr. and Richard Roberts

I had been raised with Christian TV, and I knew many of the players.  And I mean players.  I became so disillusioned with the ministers that I began to judge them.  I was intolerant of their fashion style, their parenting abilities, and their fake southern accents.  I was not accepting of the ministries because I knew their faults, and had lost confidence in these people.  Were these people really here to minister, or was it to build their ministry bigger than the next guy?  But who was I to be the question?

In the 90's I was a young ministry student, but I could not watch Christian TV without committing the sin of judging my brother.  There was a minister,  I don't remember his name, but he would say, "how is your peace and joy in Christ Jesus?"  I realized that this guy was on the level.   I knew my church was on the level, so it was time to accept other ministries for what and why God was using them, and throw away the rest.

I had to repent for the judgement I had against these people.  No, they weren't my style.  No, I didn't think they were real, but who was I to question their motives?  Their motives were between them and God.   A friend of mine pointed out that if they are a willing vessel, no matter how screwed up their personal life is, God will use whomever is willing.

I was watching Christian TV today, enjoying the ministry of some friends, and then another minister got up and started talking.   His Southern sing-songy style of preaching was more than I could handle, so I muted it.  I had to stop watching before I sinned.  But really, I had to accept him, I appreciated what I did hear him say, what he said was true, right in line with the Word of God.  Someone, somewhere was blessed by what he had to say, and although I had the luxury of muting it, sometimes we just have to listen to what we don't like.

I google-imaged "Christian TV" and
found this pic, center is my dad
in an Oral Roberts meeting in the 80's
It reminds me of who speaks and when at my church.  We have special guest speakers that I don't particularly enjoy their ministry, or the style of their ministry, yet there was one man who spoke and as I gritted my teeth while listening, his sermon opened up a whole new door of understanding for me. Then there are those that come that I just love, and am sorry when they have to go.

What am I saying?   Accept God's true Word, no matter how it is delivered.  Go to church even though you don't like the speaker that day.   Honestly, Joyce Meyer's voice grates on my nerves, but I watch her because sometimes she is talking directly to me.   So watch Christian TV if you are struggling in your life, or if you need to hear the voice of God.

How is your peace and joy in Christ Jesus?   If you are not at the place where you are at rest in the peace and joy of Christ Jesus, perhaps try something new.

 

That's my opinion, I might be wrong.

K

3 comments:

  1. Our back grounds are similar. My parents were not pastors, but they were involved in ministry in so many ways and so many different churches. I was born cynical and have had to struggle most of my life to stop putting my trust in man. I grew up religious and today I am free from that. It has taken me more years than I'd like to admit, but I have learned to look to Jesus as my example instead of preachers. I learn from Christian TV everyday. I am thankful for the teachings of God"s grace and love through TV evangelists.

    ReplyDelete