Sunday, November 15, 2009

Parents: God's gift to grown children

Tonight I went to the hospital to be with my friend, "J". His dad, "L", a constantly smiling, strong gentleman in his late 60's lay in a drug induced coma. I saw him in ICU after several cardiac arrests, and being brought back to life more than once. When I spoke with "J" on the phone prior to my visit, we cried together. I've known this family for as long as I can remember. I love each and every one of them in a very special way.

There was much confusion, first it was said that "L" was brain dead. Then it was said that he was responding. "J" sat down and with great strength related the story to those of us sitting in the waiting room, blow by blow of the details. I was very impressed with his strength and vulnerability. I felt the grief in "J's" heart, even fully grown in his early 30's I just wanted to hold him and tell him everything would be ok.

I don't know exactly what "J" would say was the worse thing that ever happened to him. Would it be his divorce some years ago, or facing the reality that his father was going to die? Whichever, it must seem like a bad dream as they are staring death in the face and beating it. Please continue to be in prayer for them.


My grandparents were in their 90s when they passed. I still have thoughts of one grandmother and wonder what she would think ... if only I could call and ask her. Its been 10 years, and I still miss her.

Why haven't I realized how difficult it is to lose a parent?

It was just this past week, as I visited with a friend, she told me that the most horrible thing that had ever happened to her was the death of her mother. My friend, an intelligent 40 something mother of 6, still had sadness in her voice as she talked about watching her 72 year old mother slowly waste away a few years ago.

Some years ago I would have thought that 72 years old was a good full life, not anymore. My in-laws, who are both in their 70's are currently trekking across South America; in some places hangin out with the natives. My parents, 70 and 68, aren't even close to being done with what God has instore for them. I'm definitely not done with them.

As I think about my life, what I want to accomplish, and how my parents don't always fit into my plans, may I never forget the image of "L" laying in ICU clinging to life with every breath and holding on because of every prayer.

May I never forget how important my parents are to me. May I never take them for granted. May I never blow them off, or ignore their slightest needs. May I be quick to listen, even if it is about my kid not wearing a jacket or needing a hair cut. May I render them and what they have to give to me as priceless. May I cherish every moment I have with them. May I learn from them, glean from them, and inherit their wisdom. May I always remember to tell them I love them.

This Thanksgiving, whether you are with your parents or not. Whether you've been dragged from one family house to another, and do not feel like the day is even yours. Stop, and give thanks to God for the parents you have. Even if your parents suck, they gave you life, and that's a pretty awesome thing just in that.

I love you Mom and Dad.

Our prayers are with you my friends: "L", "J" and family


KM 11/15

1 comment:

  1. Wanted to update on "L" Leon, who is continuing to improve, but is not out of the woods, or ICU, yet. Please be praying for the Fite family as they continue this uphill battle of faith. Since "J" Jake is posting on FB and Twitter, I assume I can now use names.

    ReplyDelete