Sunday, November 22, 2009

Technologically Challenged

I'm the first to admit that I have no idea what I'm doing on a computer. To me, a computer is like a car ... I turn it on and make it go. I have no clue how it does what is does, but I'm confident in my learned skill and don't go too much farther than that.

I find it humorous that whenever something goes wrong with my computer, tv, or any other electrical equipment, I do what parents and grandparents have been doing for generations - call to their teenager. Jarrod isn't a techno geek, but he does well. He can pretty much figure out anything.

This leads me to my story. It was Saturday night, I was at the grocery store going to rent a movie. There is this newish contraption called a "red box" that makes movie renting cheap and easy, if you know how to work it. Just one day previous I had helped a woman operate the "red box" while I was standing next to her at the ATM. I found myself in the same situation. Here I was watching this woman who had no clue what to do. The funny thing was, she had done it before, I knew this because she was returning her movie. Another woman walked up behind her and addressed her by name. I realized I knew her, and joined the conversation. I ended up helping her with her return. Then since the other lady was just returning, I had her go ahead of me, I had to help her too. If you ever try to operate a "red box" here's the first clue, TOUCH THE SCREEN.

This morning as I remembered back to my moment of helpfulness I realized that I must not be as technologically challenged as I thought. Then I remembered me at 14 or 15. There was this new fangled machine called a "Versateller" I recall mastering this machine and sharing my new found knowledge with my father, my mother, and my grandmother well, she never did figure it out, I did it for her.

After thinking of all of this I pray that as new fangled machines continue to appear daily, that it will still be a long time before I require assistance, that my children will always be patient with me, and that God will always send someone along to help me.

In this case, one of my favorite lines actually rings true, "Quick! Call a teenager while they know everything."

11/22 KM
Happy Birthday Ronda.

No comments:

Post a Comment