Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Don't Go It Alone

In my Bible reading today I came across a chapter that I would normally disregard or just scan through.  Today I actually read it - the last chapter of the book of Romans.  The Apostle Paul had great wisdom and understanding throughout this book, which is essentially a very, very long letter.  But what caught my attention was all of the shout outs he gave to his homies starting with the first verse of the 16th chapter.

Suddenly it occurred to me.  We all hear about the Apostle Paul and his great exploits for the Gospel.  Many babies have been named Paul in honor of this great man.  But wait, almost the whole last chapter is Paul recognizing the people he could not have completed his ministry without.  Why don’t we name our kids Sosipater, Phlegon, or Tryphosa?    Where would Paul be if it had not been for these people?   Paul would still be sitting on the side of the road to Damascus, blind, waiting for Ananias to come get him.

What’s my point?  We can’t do it alone.  Even with all of the grief they caused, Jesus still had the three, Peter, James and John with Him.   Taking Jesus and Paul as our example, we can see that we are not expected to go it alone.  The Garden of Eden wasn’t complete until God made a second human.  If we think of it with our finite minds, not even God is alone, He is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Recently a woman that I have known for many years and had many friendly encounters with had horrendously painful surgery.   Although we had never been close, she sought my opinions, prayer and support regarding her surgery and we bonded.  Now I call her my true friend.   We have a thread on facebook that when she is down she will write, “my pain level is unbearable.”   There are three other women on that thread – one of us responds as quickly as possible with “you can do it, you are going to be ok.”

Sometimes all we need is someone to tell us that “you are going to be ok.”   I love it when someone says, “I’m praying for you.”   What makes me laugh is when someone says, “I’m sending good vibes.”  I appreciate it.  That means that they are thinking of me, and in their own way showing their support.  I prefer prayer, but heck I’ll take what I can get.

Today someone on my Facebook feed posted “I think I’m going to give up church.”   Oh, dear Lord, how many times I have wanted to give up church.  The last thing I want to do on a Sunday morning is roll out of bed and get dressed.   Wednesday nights are like pulling teeth for me.  I want to sit in my chair and watch TV.   Don’t we all?

Here was my comment, “I would love to give up on church. But it would be going against what God wants for me. At church I can feel closer to Him, even if I'm tired of looking at the building. At church I can feel His love through His people, even though I really don't know or like them. At church there is an anointing when the music plays even if it isn't my style of music. At my church even if my mind is wandering while the speaker is speaking, the Word of God is going in to my spirit. I'm tired of the almost 40 year old building, I’m tired of having to smile and be friendly when I feel like crap, I don’t want to put my make up on and get in the car and go, but I do it because God wants me to, and I always feel better after I go.”

God doesn’t want us to go it alone.  The best place to find those who will support us is at church.  God doesn’t want us to be lonely.  The best place to find like minded people is at church.   God wants us to share ourselves.  The best place to share one’s self is in a safe haven.    

Don’t feel like you have to go it alone.  Jesus didn’t, the Apostle Paul didn’t, Adam didn’t … you shouldn’t either.


K

No comments:

Post a Comment